Monday, July 14, 2014

Glitter Monogram DIY



For my besties birthday last week I decided to take charge with the table décor.  We dined at a lovely favorite restaurant of mine, JCT Kitchen.  They are known for their fried chicken, deviled eggs (the yolks are whipped with olive oil and salt – that’s it!) and delicious vodka gimlets, but hey, I'm easy to please.

I love bringing a small arrangement or pot of flowers as decor since they’re a great leftover for the birthday girl along with decoration – but what make’s them even better??  When you stick a bright glitter monogram on top of them!  Here’s the quick and easy way to do it.


Items you will need:
Glitter paper – I found mine in the scrapbook section of Hobby Lobby, they also make glitter foam paper…
Hot Glue Gun
Wooden Skewers – mine came from the grocery
Craft Knife
A monogram design – the simpler the better
Scissors


First thing is to design your monogram on your computer or hand draw it.  I used the circle monogram font from Harold’s Fonts.   I think I paid $19 for it, which might seem like a lot for a computer font, but it has 4 variations plus a bunch of frames.   Also I’ve spent much more on much stupider things…ahem…as seen on TV products…


Print out your monogram and tape it to a surface (if you’re using a knife) or prepare to cut it out. 


Carefully cut…I mean it’s not the end of the world if it isn’t perfect, but keep in mind once you start cutting the glitter paper, you lose a little of the quality with the texture of the paper.



Ok, all done.  So take your glitter paper, flip it over, and trace your monogram on the back.  Be sure to trace the monogram backwards so that the glitter side is the correct order for the initials.


Next cut your letters!  Little pieces of glitter will probably fly off in all directions, but not to worry, because who doesn’t want more glitter in their house?  I know I do.


Next lay your letters out and decide the best place for your wooden skewers for each letter.  I ended up using 2 on the W so that it wouldn’t flop over once standing up in the flowers.  They don’t need a ton of support but the letters like W, M, probably H, will need 2 skewers.


Hot glue them on and there you have it! 


I scattered the table with large gold sequins and made the birthday girl a glitter stem covered champagne glass, since she loves bubbles.


All the ladies after dinner.  Happy Birthday Caroline!

No comments:

Post a Comment